All natural allergy relief – with homeopathy!
Traditional allergy medications can have adverse effects or contraindications for certain people. Homeopathic remedies on the other hand are natural and safe, with no contraindications or side effects. The homeopathic remedies in this post can strengthen and work with your body, instead of against it.
In all of my blog posts, I like to reiterate that you are looking for the remedy that BEST fits your current symptoms. You do not have to be the exact picture of the remedy as I describe it, but you should be close.
Also, if there is a symptom that you are experiencing that you do not see in the following list, it could be that the remedy that you need is not included here, OR I have not written about that particular symptom. There’s a lot of information on each remedy, and lots of homeopathic remedies to cover – I include as much as I can.
Try to match your symptoms to a single remedy, and if you can’t, there are a few other options for you at the end of this post.
Check out this post if you need some guidance on dosing the remedies.
This post is for general informational and educational purposes only. See my full disclaimer here.
Common homeopathic remedies for allergies:
Imagine cutting a strong onion – that is what your symptoms will be like if you need to take this remedy.
- The eyes are watery, red, itchy and irritated from rubbing them. The tears however are non-irritating.
- There is a lot of nose discharge (it “drips like a faucet”) that’s very watery and burns the nostrils and upper lip. The left nostril may be more affected than the right.
- There is lots of big sneezes, a ticklish throat and a dull headache in the forehead.
- Symptoms are better by being outside and worse if the person is in a warm room.
- There is a thin, watery, burning discharge from the nose (even though stuffed up) and eyes.
- The eyes are very sensitive to the light and there may be swollen eyelids.
- There is violent sneezing (as if from a feather tickling), and sores may develop in the nostrils.
- There may be a wheezing cough or shortness of breath.
- Symptoms are better by keeping warm and start up again after getting chilled or exerting oneself.
- The person feels anxious.
- The eyes are very watery (as if crying), with burning hot tears that make the eyes and cheeks red. The eyes will look very irritated (the sun irritates them even more) and may itch. The eyes may be “glued” shut upon waking.
- The nose also runs, but will not burn. There may be lots of sneezing.
- There is a constant tickling cough, which is better at night. There is usually coughing and gagging in morning from post nasal drainage.
- Symptoms are worse outside and better from laying down.
- Discharge from the nose and eyes starts out clear, but will turn thick, to an egg white consistency.
- There may be congestion in the top part of the nose and a feeling of dryness with frequent sneezing.
- There may be a loss of taste and smell.
- There are often dry, cracked lips, cracks in corners of mouth or cold sores that develop.
- Migraine headaches may accompany the allergy symptoms.
- Symptoms are better from fresh air and rest and are worse late morning and from mental exertion.
- The eyes are red.
- The nose is very stuffed up at night, but runs during the day
- The nose is itchy and there is a lot of sneezing.
- The person is very sensitive to smells (ex, pollen).
- Symptoms are worse in the early morning and in cold air and feel better while resting.
- There is irritability.
- There is a bland, watery discharge from the nose and eyes.
- The nose runs during the day and is congested at night, or when inside. The nose discharge turns thick, bland and yellowish-greenish.
- The roof of the mouth and the eyes itch.
- There may be a headache on one side or the back of the head
- There may be a wheezing cough that is worse while lying down.
- Symptoms are worse by being in a warm room and better by going outside.
- The person is weepy, needy, very moody and craves sympathy.
- There are red, watery eyes and a watery, runny, itchy nose.
- There are very long, violent sneezing attacks.
- The throat is dry with the feeling of a lump inside.
- There may be a headache in the forehead and a dry cough.
- Symptoms are worse from the cold air.
- The eyes, nose and mouth all feel dry, but there is sometimes still a runny nose.
- There is intolerable itching felt behind the nose or on the roof of the mouth, which sometimes extends into the throat and ears.
- There is a tickling feeling which causes a dry, hacking cough. There is a constant desire to swallow and clear the throat.
Another remedy I’d strongly consider having on hand is histaminum. It is known as a homeopathic alternative to antihistamines. Read more about it here. You can alternate with one of the remedies above.
How about a combination remedy?
I always recommend single remedies (see top remedy section) before combos as they’ll perform better (you’ll use less) and are more cost effective, but combination remedies certainly have their place. When you just can’t decide on a single remedy, or to have on hand just in case.
Rhinallergy by Boiron is used to relieve symptoms caused by seasonal allergies (hay fever, pollen) and environmental allergens (dust, mould, animal hair) such as sneezing, runny nose, itchy and watery eyes and scratchy throat. It includes a handful of the remedies I mentioned up top!
Cell salts for further support
Schuessler believed that it was the deficiency of certain cell (mineral) salts that is the underlying cause of allergies, and that pollen is only the contributing cause. He said that the system, whenever the mineral salts are properly balanced, is immune to the effects of pollen. Therefore, preventative treatment is key.
He suggested the most common being Ferrum phos, Kali mur and Nat mur.
Consider starting the above remedies 1-2 months prior to when your allergies typically kick in, and continue through the allergy season.
your constitutional remedy
A great way to reduce your susceptibility to allergies is to meet with a classical homeopath for an appointment for a constitutional remedy.
Constitutional remedies are for chronic problems. The homeopath gathers all of your symptoms, your health and family history, and your individual likes, dislikes, habits and quirks into consideration.
With the remedy that is chosen, your tendency to experience allergy symptoms will lessen until they are a problem of the past!
If you need help finding a homeopath to work with, leave a comment or send me a message and I’d love to help.
Have you used homeopathy for your allergies? What was your experience?